This is going to be one of those “do what I say, not what I do” posts, because I realized a fairly large snafu about 1/2 way through the project! But I still think it turned out pretty cool, so I wanted to share it anyway!
Now that I’m feeling pretty good about most of the rooms in the apartment, I decided to do something about the large swaths of empty wall in the hallway. I’m not going to do a full tutorial, because I’m using the same technique as the bathroom door signs and the peephole owl. But here are some pics of the process.
The hallway, before.
Okay, here’s the DON’T DO THIS portion of the post. I used a really thin broadcloth cotton fabric. My first piece of advice is NOT to do that. First of all, it’s going to be a pain to peel these off when I’m sick of them. Stick with really thick uhpolstery or decorator fabric. Second, DO NOT iron directly on the wall. Since the fabric was so thin and the pieces were too small, there was too much of the iron actually against the wall. There’s definitely going to be some paint stickage when I’m peeling these off. Make sure you use a bigger, thicker piece of fabric between the iron and the wall (like in the last in progress picture below).
I think I’m going to add a little more to the last section, but I ran out of birdies and my cramping hands would not allow me to cut out any more tonight! It looks a bit too uniform… I need to round it out on the bottom. I think it’s pretty fun! And it’s staying there for a while, because I don’t want to have to touch up the paint!
89 Comments so far
Leave a comment